Dear Friends and Neighbors,
I am excited to tell you that I am running for the Newton School Committee from Ward 1! This seat is currently held by Ellen Gibson, who is not seeking reelection. All School Committee seats are at-large so my name will appear on your ballot regardless of where you live in Newton.
Please connect with me on Facebook, Kathy Marchi for School Committee, to follow my campaign! You can also reach me at 917-922-6516 and email@example.com. I would love to hear your questions, concerns, and suggestions about our schools, and I hope to win your support and vote on November 7th.
Eleven years ago, my family moved to Newton so that our children would have the benefit of our outstanding school system. Our daughter and son each have very different learning styles and both received an excellent education in which their individual learning needs were met. We are grateful for the solid foundation and strong community engagement our family experienced in Newton Public Schools.
Our family has been actively involved in each school our children attended: Lincoln-Eliot Elementary, Bigelow and Day Middle Schools, and Newton North High School. I Co-Chaired the Day at Night Auction, served as President of North’s Tiger Booster Club and volunteered for many events in the schools as well as the community.
Three areas I plan to prioritize include:
- Social Emotional Learning and Cultural Competencies – Newton has established itself as an SEL leader within the Commonwealth. I look forward to building on this excellent work by expanding it into both high schools and to families. I also want to incorporate cultural competencies work so that all students feel safe, supported, and can reach their highest potential.
- Full Day Kindergarten & After-School Opportunities for All Students – I support shifting our kindergarten model to a full day program. Early education including pre-school programs, as well as access to after-school programs for every student, are key concerns.
- Fiscal Oversight– We face financial challenges in the coming years and we must make the right trade-offs in school department budgets. I will focus on preserving class size and guaranteeing funding for the district’s SEL Department.
My professional, educational, and additional volunteer experiences include:
- Former Director of The Newton Partnership and experienced senior leader in nonprofit and corporate sectors
- Chair, Newton Cares Youth Sub-Committee; Adult Advisor, Newton Youth Commission; QPR Community Trainer; Touch a Truck Event Chair
- Engaged Newton residents in social-emotional learning skills and trained community members in Youth Mental Health First Aid as member of Newton Public Schools’ SEL Department
- Newton Child Care Scholarship Fund Director
- Centre Street Food Pantry Board Member
- Master’s degree in Student Personnel Administration from New York University and a Bachelor’s degree in Psychology from Allegheny College.
I look forward to connecting with you!
Read more: Kathy Marchi announces run for Ward 1 School Committee | Village 14 http://village14.com/2017/07/13/kathy-marchi-announces-run-for-ward-1-school-committee/#ixzz4p06l3S9K
Under Creative Commons License: Attribution Non-Commercial Share Alike
Follow us: @14thVillage on Twitter | Village14 on Facebook